I have vivid memories of sitting in a hospital room holding a 30-minute old baby boy on a hot Thursday afternoon in the middle of June five years ago. I looked down at him swaddled in a hospital blanket and sporting one of those blue tight-fitting, cotton hats. All I could see were his eyes, nose, and mouth; everything else was bundled tightly. It was a perfect face. A beautiful face. The face of purity and joy.
The room was full of family members chatting and laughing and anxiously taking turns to hold the new little one. As I held him and memorized all the details of his face and that moment, I wasn't thinking about anything but his miniature perfection. So, what happened next was -- and still is -- the single biggest surprise of my life: his mom leaned from her bed to say, "We want to know if you will be his Godmother."
The overwhelming honor of her request took me aback, and my only reaction was to burst into tears. So that's what I did. I looked down at him, my tears blurring my vision and causing his sweet face to look swirly. I couldn't believe of all the many people in their lives, they chose me.
And now... here I sit, writing a blog about his fifth birthday. How is it possible? So many things have happened, both in his life and in mine. But the most important thing to do is recognize him and the place he has in my and others' hearts.
He's the best!
![]() |
| I'm FIVE! |
![]() |
| Cardinals fan! |
![]() |
| BIG gift! He doesn't know what to think! :) |
Happy Birthday! I love you!



Cute!
ReplyDelete